Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Racism keeps on shining in Finnish media

Me and my Finnish friend were sitting in a bar here in Berlin. One berliner came to talk to us. Somehow we ended up telling him how racist country Finland actually is. He was surprised.

6.12. is Finland's Independence Day. It's all about our grandpa's fighting in the war against Russians, lot's of vodka and little Finland winning it's independence. If we simplify the whole scenario.

Let's not always focus on thinking about the past. Like my grandpa, he never talked about the war. He was happy to have his children and grandchildren around. He was happy to be alive to see us. He was a truly loving person, though he did kill many people during the war. But the least thing he wanted was to people to fight and kill each other. He was kind of forced to do so, for his own country.

There are not that many war veterans alive anymore in Finland, but for example in my generation, all of us grandpa's did fought in war. I didn't learn from my grandpa to hate people, I learnt to love everything that surrounds me. Especially cats, my grandpa loved cats. Early in times my grandpa and grandma would accommodate gypsies traveling around Finland. They didn't care about where you come from or who you are, they wanted to share what they have with anyone who passed by.

And I bet there were plenty of families like this. 

Then something happened beginning to late 80's. More and more exiles started to come to Finland. Biggest wave came from Somalia. They got so much shit from Finnish people: many of Finns would always consider them as thief's, even news papers wanted to show them on bad light. Ok, I study journalism and if my collages would ever write something racist, I would definitely think that they are not being professionals. But those times it was normal.

Nowadays these Somalians are Finnish citizens. They speak even more fluent Finnish than I do. And you know how easy language Finnish is to learn. I mean, these Somalians have seen really an effort to fit in Finnish society. Still, really STILL there are people in Finland, who comment about their skin color, tell them to move away from Finland, back to Somalia, and yell insulting words. 

I mean, these people who are acting like assholes to these Somalians, who have fucking lived almost 30-years in Finland, educated themselves, learnt the language, learnt the culture - how do some people really dare to tell someone who has escaped from middle of war to a fucking strange country called Finland - to fuck off?
   
I know that my grandpa would have opened his heart to anyone who has seen the war and managed to escape from such horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

HFUT is rising again!