Saturday, 16 April 2011

153rd issue: Finnish grammar

Finnish grammar is known for it's being one of the most difficult grammars in the world. And I totally agree this. I have been studying Finnish for whole of my life, but yeah, t the same time I speak two languages fluent, so how can I ever manage to be successful in Finnish?

I study media and my school is very journalism influenced. I have been wondering how on earth I got in that school, because my Finnish sucks. It really does. I don't know which words are written together and which ones are separate. We have so many words that are written together, but in English the same words wouldn't be written like that. Usually in English two words are usually separated, like final reduction in English becomes loppukevennys in Finnish.

I'm going to apply to university to study African and Asian languages, and I m going to specialize in Japanese. If I get in. And this is a big IF, because the tests will have also Finnish language tests. And I don't really base my speaking in grammar, I base it in my own way!

And this is why I got surprised I got in the school I'm at the moment: my teachers are always saying "don't care about grammar, care about what you write", so they give us the artistic freedom. I think grammar kills artistic things, it kills the flow your writing might have. Or you have to be "super talented" to manage art and grammar at the same time. It's like putting mathematic and art together. Ok, Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci managed, but c'mon!

I'm Esin.

So, now I'm really suffering, because I have to learn what is ablative and all these strange words that make Finnish "possible". I think Finnish language can't be compared to other languages, because our grammar just is so different. Some people might say "yes they should be compared", but as I don't want to become a teacher, I wan't to work in Japan, I think it's easier to just learn how to speak Japanese, not base everything in those ablatives and nominatives.. whatever. There's grammar - and there is grammar. And there's Finnish.

Ugh. Finnish is truly a really difficult language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

HFUT is rising again!