Wednesday, 13 April 2011

138th issue: Where to eat, part 1: central

My friend asked me when I do where-to-eat issue, so here it is!

As I have told, I'm a vegetarian who prefers vegan food, but I try to be objective. Actually, I can't be that objective, because I don't even remember how meat tastes like, eh.


Lupolo

Punavuori is known as the main hipster area. And so is Lupolo a kind of a hipster restaurant. But I like hipsters. I like Lupolo. They have good selection for meat eaters and vegetarians too. Prices are decent. Good selection on beers!

Open?
Mon-Fri 11 am
Sat 11 am

Lunch?
Mon-Fri 11.30 am - 2.30 pm

Where?
Punavuorenkatu 3

http://www.lupolo.fi/

--------------------------

Ravintola Hipster... no I mean Ravintola Nolla

I have only once eaten here and it was a goat cheese salad, which was super goooood. They have slightly scandinavian based menu, quite often salmon available. So if you feel like eating salmon, go and check out Nolla first.

Lunch?
Mon-Fri 11 am - 15 pm

A la carte?
Until I don't know. Nolla is open fri-sat until 4 am, so I bet the kitchen wont serve until that.

Where?
Pohjoinen Rautatienkatu 21

http://www.ravintolanolla.fi/

-------------------------

Ravintola Tori

I wrote about tori in the "Jallu aka Jaloviina - Finnish alcohol" issue. Tori is very nice, especially during the summer.

Where?
Punavuorenkatu 2

Serving hours?
Mon-Fri 10 am - 9 pm
Sat-Sun 10 am - 7 pm

http://www.ravintolatori.fi/

-----------------------

Kahvila Suomi

A famous from Japanese movie "Kahvila Lokki". The food is compared for service station food, but in a good way. I would compare it to home food. The portions are big and also very typical Finnish.

Open?
9 am - 9 pm

Where?
Pursimiehenkatu 12

http://www.kahvilasuomi.fi/

--------------------------------------

Tamarin (Thai food)

I like to go to Tamarin, because all the portions are available as vegetarian even vegan. Also they make the food very hot, which I find rare in Finland - finding food with lot's of chili in it. Also a good deal is, that Mon-Fri 4p-6pm all the portions are 10€. Also lunch available, but I have never tried it. Service is very kind.


Average price?
Depends. Prefer going at 4 pm - 6 pm.


Where?
Several ones, ones I know are in Iso Roba and Fredrikinkatu 4

http://www.tamarin.fi

-----------------------------------

New Bamboo Center (Chinese-Malaysian)

This is a total student place. Portions are huge and prices low. Atmosphere is sometimes hilarious. Service as well. Food, well, not that spicy, but I think service beats all the other restaurants. Also one thing is a guarantee: your tummy will be filled up! Good for vegans too!

Where?
Annankatu 29

Average price?
10€ (lunch around 6€ and available quite late!)

Serving hours?
Mon-Fri 11 am - 10 pm
Sat 12 pm 10 pm
Sun 12 pm - 10 pm

http://www.newbamboocenter.com/

----------------------------------


Mt Everest (Nepal)

I don't often go and eat Nepalese/Indian food, because that food is so filling. But I have figured out how to manage: just choosing the ones without cream & cheese.

Where?
Lapinlahdenkatu 17 (Kamppi)
Vilhonkatu 9 (just next to railway station)

Lunch?
Mon-Fri 11 am - 14 pm (around 8.20€)

A la Carte?
14 pm - 10 pm (around 15€)

http://www.everestyeti.fi/fi/kamppi/
http://www.everestyeti.fi/fi/vilhola

ps. If you have bad memories from army, like my dad has, don't go here: they use those silver metal plates.... Sometimes we had to ask them serve my dads portion from normal plate. Hahaha... How bad memories someone can have from army?

---------------------------------------------------

Sushi?

There are plenty of sushi restaurants in central Helsinki. My favorite one is Zen Sushi in Kämp Galleria, Kämp shopping mall, it's just because they have the best vege set. Also the waitresses and waiters are lovely.

But there are so many sushi restaurants around, that I don't just bother to write anything more about them.

--------------------------------------------

To be honest, I haven't yet found a restaurant from central Helsinki, which I would love. All I mentioned are decent. But Kallio, oh yeah, in Kallio all the best restaurants are! I will collect my favorite restaurants in Kallio soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

HFUT is rising again!